Welcome! I'm Steven. I'm a professional software developer focused on scalable solutions in AWS.
My career in tech spans over 15 years and has included jobs such DevOps Engineer, Management, SharePoint Consultant, PCI subject-matter expert, Project Manager, and Linux / Windows server support.
- Experience in both agile and waterfall project management methods
- Collaboration with technical and non-technical people across any business unit
- Can work with a team or independently
- Software and infrastructure design and analysis
- Experience in Microservices and Serverless environments
- Experience with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS) audits
- Python for microservices, CLI utilities and general use
- Flask and Django for server services
- React for web front ends
- Bash for systems and CI/CD programming
- Github Actions and CircleCI for CI/CD
- Insomnia for REST API development
- Terraform and Cloudformation Infrastructure as Code
- Debian Linux for everything
- AWS automation through CloudFormation and Terraform.
- Extensive use of API Gateway, Lambda, Step Functions, Cloudwatch, DynamoDb, SQS, OpenSearch, CloudFront, ACM, Inspector, RDS, EC2, S3, SNS, SQS, VPC, ECS, ECR, and IAM.
- Development of microservices using various AWS services.
- Static website hosting via S3 and cached through CloudFront.
- AWS Docker using Fargate, ERC, and EKS.
- Ability to architect fault-tolerant and highly available solutions.
- Usage of CircleCI and GitHub actions for continuous integration/continuous deployment.
- IntellJ IDEA
- VS Code
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
- AWS Certified Developer - Associate
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: SharePoint 2010
- Microsoft Certified Professional
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Server Network Infrastructure
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
- CompTia Security+ 2012
- FCC Amateur Radio Technician
- NOLS Wilderness Medical Institute: Wilderness First Responder
I have coded multiple cloud native applications in Python or React for use by support teams, customers, and executive management. All applications were designed utilizing microservices architecture and to take full advantage of AWS products such as API Gateway, Lambda, Step Functions, and DynamoDB. Applications were IaC managed via Terraform, and connected to CI/CD pipelines, which in conjunction with Pytest and a number of custom integrations ensured near zero downtime and continuous improvement. When a front end was required React was used.
The majority of software I have written is not open source, however, I have contributed back to various open source projects such as troposphere and Rackspace Terraform modules. One of my solo closed source projects is called out in the Solution section of this AWS Case Study
Beyond software I have contributed back to the tech community by consulting at various SharePoint Saturdays pro bono. I was also a contributing author of Professional SharePoint 2013 Administration published by Wrox.
- Two applications have been running continuously for over three years and each have over two million executions, with near zero downtime.
- Created a Slack bot that reports daily and monthly metrics of all applications, as well as provide real-time error reporting when AWS Lambdas, AWS Step Functions, or other critical software fails.
You can contact me via email any time. I'm generally available 2PM to 7PM Central Time for Skype or Zoom calls. To set up a call please schedule it with me via email.